Thursday, November 15, 2012

Keltie Colleen: A Brief Interview

Keltie Colleen, author of Rockettes, Rockstars, and Rockbottom kindly agreed to answer a few of my questions about her book and her life as a dancer in the world famous Radio City Rockettes.  Enjoy!



Do you feel that writing this book was different from writing a blog or a journal?  If so, in what way?

Of course, because it all had to make sense. I sort of jump all over the place when I am blogging, and in this book you follow me from age 6 dancing in my backyard to present day.

How do you make time for blogging in your very busy life?

Luckily for me my busy life includes many airports, airplanes and hotel rooms. I spent a great deal of time alone and so it makes it easy for me to find time to blog. My heart and guts are usually pretty messed up to so I am never short on inspiration!

Are there any books or blogs which you think are ESSENTIALS for young dancers? (or maybe old ones!)

Well, besides Rockettes, Rockstars and Rockbottom- I think that twlya tharp had a really amazing book called "The creative habit".

You seem to have a really close family - what were their first reactions when you decided to publish your story?

Ha! I think my parents were the last to know! But then again, I am always coming up with crazy ideas. My parents would probably say "that's nice" if I told them I was going to go swim across the ocean!

Dancing can take a real tole on the body and cause aches and pains in places you didn't know even existed - did writing about your past loves and passions have a similar effect?

Actually the opposite, the more I dance the worst my body feels. The more I wrote about my heartache and confusion with the way the world worked the clearer the picture of myself became, and the warmer my insides felt. Writing this book was like the best therapy session ever.

Your mantra is courage. passion. hardwork. - when did you start using this?  
How did you come up with it?

When I was in high school a hockey player friend of mine used to take masking tape and put his mantra over his door. I kinda stole his idea and started doing the same thing. People think mantras are just words, but I swear these three little words, and keeping them in the front of my mind has changed my life.

If you could have 3 wishes right now, what would they be?

1. That diet coke was not bad for you and that I could drink it all day long.
2. That everyone would buy and read their copy of Rockettes, Rockstars and Rockbottom.
3. More wishes~

My book Rockettes, Rockstars and Rockbottom is available at amazon
follow me on twitter @keltiecolleen
Share:

5 comments

Hurricanes12 said...

haha 'diet coke wasn't bad for you'- if i see her book in new zealand i will have a read :)

Emma said...

Lovely interview, v.well done :) x

Zsara said...

Thanks!

I don't think her books available in stores - only online :( But enter my giveaway and I'll buy it for ya! :) xxxZ

Vicky K. said...

so nice!!

Vicky
(new post: News from my shoeshelf: UGGS & follow me)

Emilie said...

great post!!

xxxx

lifeisroyalty.blogspot.com

© Elle Kayem | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig