Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

 
The Things They Carried  
Tim O'Brien.

I first read the first chapter as a freshman in an upper level English class as an undergrad. I can STILL remember the way my professor said the first line:

First Lieutenant Jimmy Cross carried letters from a girl named Martha, a junior at Mount Sebastian College in New Jersey. 
 
This passage continues with this Vietnam marine talking about how he uses his precious, literally, drinking water to wash his hands before reading this girl's letters from home.

It was the first book I read that as soon as I finished, I wanted to know everything about the author. I looked up everything I could find about him. I wish I lived in Texas so I could take one of the courses he teaches.

It's just amazing. Jimmy Cross and the love and load he carries for every person around him is beautiful and devastating. Just the symbolism of his name: Jimmy Cross, JC=Jesus Christ, a cross to bear. O'Brien is a genius. Every word is meticulously thought-out. And the scene in the boat, my God.

Many thanks to Rhiannon for sharing your favourite book with us! 
Rhiannon's blog can be found here; and her twitter here.
 
If you would like to share your favourite book, as Rhiannon has done, then you can find out more information here, it'd be great for you to get involved ;)
 
// bloglovin' :: goodreads
Share:

No comments

© Elle Kayem | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig