Sunday, May 5, 2013

Raven Girl by Audrey Niffenegger

 


 
When I saw that Audrey Niffenegger, author of The Time Traveller's Wife, had released a new book - this wasn't quite what I was expecting.  I had blindly ordered a copy based purely on my love of her previous work and when this landed on my doorstep I wasn't sure what to expect.  I certainly wasn't expecting to fall in love.

Raven Girl tells the story of a postman who falls in love with a raven.  The unlikely couple fall in love and conceive a child - a woman trapped in the body of a raven.  It is a story of change, of the raven girl never quite being happy as a girl or as a raven.  The story is told through images and words as you get swept away with Niffenegger's story telling.  The images are beautiful and tell a story just as strong, if not stronger than her words.  
It is an adult fairytale, with suspense, action, love, twists and turns.  It is beautifully told and portrayed. 
It was such a pleasant surprise.
 
// bloglovin' :: goodreads
Share:

6 comments

Lj Baker said...

The illustrations in this book look beautiful and wow - what a change from TTTW! I love fairytales so I'm definitely going to get a copy.

Sophie said...

This looks so beautiful, not at all what I was expecting either!

Alice @ ofbooks.org said...

I don't think I would have expected this from the author of The Time Traveler's Wife either! Those images are haunting.

Cate EC said...

This is completely the opposite of what I would have expected...but still sounds brilliant!

http://theperksofbeingahipster.blogspot.co.uk/

Alice said...

That book looks so pretty. I think I am going to have to get a copy of that one.

Go Book Yourself! said...

The illustrations are beautiful! I'm going to follow you and add your button to my blog :)

© Elle Kayem | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig