Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower


The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky

One of my all time favourite books is The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. It is a relatively new favourite which I read at first because I really wanted to see the movie, and you can’t see a film without reading the book first! So I read it and found myself engrossed. I've read it twice more since the first time, and I’m sure I’ll read it again and again.

I chose it because I think it’s just such a beautiful story. It’s one of those books which finds the wonderful in the everyday. The main character, Charlie sees the value in everything, something I wish I had done when I was at school, and I just love all his keen and refreshing observations. He is definitely one of my favourite literary characters.  The book tells the story of his high school journey, and another thing that I love about the book is that nothing particularly amazing happens to him. It is very similar to Catcher in the Rye in that respect. He struggles with a few family dramas and the suicide of his best friend, but his actual school experiences are very similar to everyone else’s, making it all the more relatable and, in my opinion, all the more emotional and heart-warming. It is so easy to imagine yourself there, and on some occasions I can actually remember myself being there! Oh the memories of telling your first crush you liked them, only to crash and burn. Such wonderful times. I think, for this reason, I feel really attached to the book and the characters. Every time I read it, I feel so invested in the details, even though I have read them all before.

I also really like that it is an epistolary novel. I don’t know why, but there is something about books that are written not in chapters, but in shorter letter form, that has always really appealed to me. (The next of my favourite books on my blog will be Bridget Jones’ Diary, sense a pattern here?)

My favourite quote was actually the tagline for the movie, I think. It is: 

“we accept the love we think we deserve.” 


It’s just one of those rare quotes that rings so true and really makes you think - something which I think the entire book does too, incidentally. I seldom find quotes that affect my way of thinking like this one did, and I love the book all the more for it.

Many thanks to
Sarah from 'Squares'
for sharing your favourite book with us!

Sarah hopes to share more book reviews, just like this one, on her blog every Sunday -- and it's Sunday today, so what are you waiting for?! ;)

Want to share your favourite book?
Click here for more details!

// bloglovin' :: goodreads :: instagram :: twitter
Share:

8 comments

DANIELLE // DKD DESIGNS said...

I really want to read this book, so glad you've given it a good review! xx

Go Book Yourself! said...

I hate seeing the film before I've read the book but unfortunately it happened with this one. Im going to wait a while until I forget the film

Alice @ ofbooks.org said...

Love this book, it's one I came to before I was much of a reader and it's stayed with me since.

I'm still avoiding the film, the book so too poignant I'm not sure it can match expectation.

Carole said...

Hi there, I just noticed this review and wondered if you would like to link it in to the current monthly collection of books that people loved on Carole's Chatter. This is the link There are already over 25 great books linked in that you might be interested in. It would be super if you came on over. Cheers

Manpreet Sandhu said...

This is one of my favourite books too. I think Charlie's character development was stunning and the relation it had to so many other lonely teenagers out there was comforting to read.

The film was fantastic too - I feel like Chbosky answered a lot of the questions that I was left asking after I finished the book. :)

Fay said...

When I started this book I cannot admit to being too enamored. However just past the halfway mark I couldn't put it down! Great review :D I still need to see the film!

onlinephduk said...

I love this book and the movie was wonderful. The quote “We accept the love we think we deserve” is one of my favorite literary quotes of all time. It is a priceless bit of advice that is so true. Thank you for posting this review.


My homepage | Psychologist Doctorate

Shannon Olivia said...

I've always wanted to read this book and see the film. Your blog has inspired me! I love the quote, it's lovely. Your blog is beautiful! The book cover is awesome!

Would be awesome if you could take a look at my blog, I'm new to all this haha!:) http://storytellershannon.blogspot.co.uk/

© Elle Kayem | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig