Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Giver by Lois Lowry

This is part of the 'My Favourite Book' series: authors, bloggers, and readers sharing their favourite book with my readers.  If you're interested in contributing one of your own - you can find out more information here.  
 
I am an absolute sucker for all things dystopia... and I distinctly remember when I fell in love with that genre. I was sitting in a 7th grade English class and our assistant teacher had decided to read us a story.  It had been so long since anyone had read us a book, that there was an undeniable excitement in the air.
She sat down, opened the book and began to read us The Giver by Lois Lowry, and my love for reading was born in that instant.  I never realized that something could be both beautiful and dark, terrifying and comforting.  It was in that moment that I realized that children aren't safe just by virtue of being children and that we take for granted the beauty that surrounds us in everyday life.  Colors are a gift and memories of the most mundane activities will eventually be what form us as people.

In the end, Jonas' story is an empowering call to action.  As a 13 year old girl sitting in a classroom, I realized that things don't have to be as they've always been.  That we all have control over the course of our own lives and the choices we make will impact the world in a multitude of ways.

I have yet to read the rest of Lowry's series.  This book has become such an important part of my own story, that I'm nervous to have my most important memories of it altered.  And to me, that is a sign of a great story... when it becomes a vital part of the reader and she is protective of that connection.
 
 
Many thanks to

for sharing your favourite book with us!
 
Bear is currently reading all of the books referenced in all 7 seasons of Gilmore girls.  And documenting the journey on her blog.

How you can find Bear:  | blog | twitter | facebook |

Share:

5 comments

Librarian Lavender said...

I loved this book, it's one of my all time favorites!
Your reading challenge of all Gilmore Girls books sounds great! I bet it will be a lot of fun! But maybe also some tough reading with all the classics mentioned?

Holly Baker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly Baker said...

I taught The Giver in 8th grade English for almost a decade before people with no understanding pushed meaningful literature completely out of our curriculum. I remain, grateful, however, for all the hundreds of students that I was able to share this story with over the years. I love the Gilmore Girls reading project. That could keep a book club busy for years!

Bear Allen said...

It's been an insane endeavor, but I'm so glad I started it. There are so many books that I would've put off reading simply because they were difficult/long/what have you. My challenge has really focused my reading and it's been something that has enriched my life in so many ways!

Bear Allen said...

It really is unfortunate the number of books that some children will never be exposed to because of situations like this. Keep fighting the good fight and thank you for passing this gorgeous story on to future generations!

© Elle Kayem | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig