Sunday, May 3, 2015

Caramel Butter Cake




This is a bit lethal.

Delicious, but lethal.

INGREDIENTS:

CAKE:

125g (4 ounces) butter (unsalted, softened)
220g light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 tablespoon golden syrup
150g plain flour
75g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
125ml milk

ICING:

220g light brown sugar
60g butter (unsalted and softened)
3 tablespoons milk
120g icing sugar

One:

Preheat oven to 180*c (350F,  if your oven is fan-assisted, I recommend 160*c).  Grease your tin.  I used a shallow square tin, this cake doesn't rise much so you don't need a deep one.  

Two:

Beat the sugar, butter, and vanilla extract in a small bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs and golden syrup.  For the syrup, to avoid it sticking to the spoon too much try warming the spoon in hot water just before adding the syrup.  This way the syrup will be runnier + won't take so long to get off the spoon.  Sift in the flours, and add the cinnamon and milk.  

Three:

Spread the mixture into the pan.  Be sure to spread the mixture well into the corners so there isn't a peak in the middle.  Bake for 50 mins (if the temperatures above are too high for your oven, lower them, each oven is different so don't feel obliged to stick to those temps).  

Four:

Check your cake is baked through by inserting a knife in the deepest part.  If it comes out clean, you can remove it from the oven.  Let it stand for five minutes before removing it from the tin + placing it on a cooling rack.

Five:

Once your cake is reasonably cool, you can begin to make the icing.  Stir the sugar, butter, and milk in a small saucepan over a medium heat.  Stir constantly until the sugar has dissolved.  Don't let it boil until all of the sugar has dissolved into the mixture.  Reduce the heat once bubbles begin to form and let the mixture simmer, uncovered, for three minutes.  Once it has bubbled away for a short while, remove from the heat and add the icing sugar and some milk.  How much milk you add is dependent on how runny you want your icing to be.  I only added 2 tablespoons + the icing was like fudge once it had dried.  If you want it runnier, add the milk in teaspoons until you get your desired texture.

Six:

Spoon over cake once it has cooled completely.  Slice up, and serve.

This recipe is adapted from one I found in The Australian Women's Weekly "The Baking Collection".

In other news....

I am now on Facebook! (I know, it's taken me this long to join the 21st century).  I've created a little page which you can 'like' and keep updated with posts from here as well as my instagram. I won't be linking my Twitter feed as I think that will be too many posts, but I would love to see you there.  

If you have a page of your own which you think I'd like, leave a link in the comments and I shall pop over and have a look.  (I promise not to spam you.)

Hope you enjoy the rest of your long weekend!

Share:

2 comments

Jennifer @This Off Script Life said...

Your review has me hooked. I'm picking up a copy the next time I'm in a bookshop.

Alice said...

I loved this book, it's one that really sticks in your mind once you're read it. I want to read it again now I've read your post.

© Elle Kayem | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig