Sunday, June 14, 2015

Links of the Week | 14th June 2015


I loved this post on growing your own plants.  I'm in the process of making my own vegetable patch + trying to "grow my own", so it's nice to see others are feeling similarly green-fingered!

These underrated books have gotten me thinking that I should branch out + be a bit braver with my reading choices (especially since I've only read one!)

It seems the blogging world has gone off to have amazing adventures + left me to read their posts at home, clutching a cup of tea for warmth in the English "sunshine".  I'm not bitter, honest... I'd just like to go to Mykonos, Santorini or Antigua please!

These burger recipes had me drooling over my keyboard.  YUM.

If you're in the States, please read Kristin Valdez Quade's work.  I've read some of her work on The New Yorker, but am (not so) patiently waiting for her to be published in the UK.

And finally, I have some exciting news to share....



The Independent Bookshop week is from 20th – 27th June.  If you're unsure of your nearest independent bookshop, you can check out the event website with lots of events + details here. Of course, there will be lots of exciting stuff happening on social media to document this, including:

#Indiebookaday


The first is #indiebookaday.  Share a photo + mini-blurb about each book you post on Instagram or Twitter to match each daily theme.

#Bookshopcrawl

The second is #bookshopcrawl.  If you decide to visit lots of different independent bookshops throughout the week, document it!  Whether you choose to make a film, live-tweet your day, or write a blog post you can share it with the event organisers and be in with a chance of winning national book tokens and the IBW Book Award Shortlist.  Once you're done, send a link over to Kara Rennie between Saturday 20th June and Wednesday 1st July.

#Giveabook

The organisers have challenged book-lovers to pop into their local independent bookshop and to #giveabook.  That means finding the perfect read for your mum, colleague, best friend, or a total stranger; whoever you decide to gift with a new and exciting read. Bookshops will have special postcards for you to fill out and share on social media using the hashtag.

#Bookshopselfie

There’s also a chance to win book bundles throughout the week by sharing your #bookshopselfie on Twitter or Instagram; keep your eyes peeled for updates from the @booksaremybag team for details of the winners + to increase your chance to getting some fantastic new reads!

Of course, be sure to check back here where I shall be sharing my foray into the independent bookshops in my area!  Will you be taking part?  I'd love to hear how you get on if you do. 

What have you been reading this week?  Leave some links below in the comments.




Share:

2 comments

Emma @ BooksandBoardies said...

I'm reading a book of short stories called Redployment by Phil Klay which is very powerful and for me has been pretty emotional so far. It's a collection of stories about war, how it affects people on the ground and how it feels to come home. x

Louise @ readsandrecipes.com said...

Ooh that sounds really interesting! I'll have to keep an eye out for it xo

© Elle Kayem | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig